Table of Content
- City Info
- Where to Stay
- Estimated Daily Cost
- Public Transportations
- Safety Tips for Travelers
Explore the Charming Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Best Locations to Stay
1. Downtown Wilkes-Barre: Stay in the heart of the city and experience the hustle and bustle of downtown Wilkes-Barre. With a variety of hotels, including the stylish Wilkes-Barre Marriott, you’ll be within walking distance of attractions like the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts and a plethora of dining options.
2. Mohegan Sun Pocono: Located just outside of Wilkes-Barre, Mohegan Sun Pocono offers a resort-style experience complete with a casino, spa, and numerous dining options. This area provides a more leisurely stay while still being close enough to explore the city’s attractions.
3. Kingston: Situated along the Susquehanna River, Kingston offers a peaceful retreat from downtown. Stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre and enjoy the scenic beauty of the riverfront, while still being within a short drive to downtown’s vibrant atmosphere.
4. Scranton: Just a short drive away, Scranton is another fascinating city to stay in. Known for its rich history and connection to the television show “The Office,” Scranton offers charming accommodations, such as the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel, along with museums, galleries, and theaters to explore.
Estimated Daily Cost for Travelers
The estimated daily cost for travelers in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, can vary depending on their preferences. On average, a budget traveler can expect to spend around $80-$100 per day. However, those seeking a more luxurious experience should budget around $150-$200 per day. This estimation includes accommodation, meals, transportation, attractions, and some entertainment expenses.
Public Transportation Options and Renting a Car
Wilkes-Barre offers several public transportation options for visitors to navigate the city and its surroundings. The Luzerne County Transportation Authority (LCTA) operates bus services throughout Wilkes-Barre and beyond, providing an affordable means of transportation. Additionally, rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are available for convenience and flexibility.
For those who prefer to rent a car, multiple car rental companies, including Hertz and Enterprise, have locations in Wilkes-Barre. Renting a car allows for easy access to the city’s attractions and the freedom to explore the beautiful surrounding areas at your own pace.
Safety Tips for Travelers
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, is generally a safe destination, but it’s always important to prioritize personal safety. Here are a few safety tips for travelers:
1. Stay aware of your surroundings, especially when walking alone or in unfamiliar areas.
2. Keep your belongings secure and avoid displaying expensive items in public.
3. Use well-lit and populated areas, especially at night.
4. Follow traffic rules and exercise caution when driving or crossing the streets.
5. Stay updated on local news and weather conditions, particularly during severe weather events.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. What are some must-visit attractions in Wilkes-Barre?
Some popular attractions in Wilkes-Barre include the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza, the River Common park along the Susquehanna River, the historic Kirby Park, and the impressive Anthracite Heritage Museum.
2. Can I explore the beautiful nature surrounding Wilkes-Barre?
Absolutely! Wilkes-Barre is surrounded by breathtaking natural landscapes. Take a short drive to Ricketts Glen State Park and hike its stunning waterfalls trail, or visit the Seven Tubs Nature Area for unique geological formations and peaceful nature walks.