Table of Content
- City Info
- Where to Stay
- Estimated Daily Cost
- Public Transportations
- Safety Tips for Travelers
Exploring Maryville, Tennessee: A Hidden Gem in the South
Maryville, Tennessee may not be on the top of everyone’s travel list, but this charming city nestled in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains has a lot to offer. From its picturesque landscapes to its rich history and vibrant culture, Maryville is a hidden gem just waiting to be discovered. In this travel blog article, we’ll explore the best locations to stay, estimated daily costs for travelers, transportation options, safety tips, and answer some frequently asked questions.
Best Locations to Stay
1. Historic Downtown
Immerse yourself in the rich history of Maryville by staying in the heart of its historic downtown. With its beautiful architecture, quaint shops, and charming restaurants, this neighborhood is perfect for those who seek a combination of ambiance and convenience. You’ll find a range of accommodation options, from cozy bed and breakfasts to boutique hotels. Prices start at around $100 per night.
2. Great Smoky Mountains
For nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts, staying near the Great Smoky Mountains is a dream come true. There are several campgrounds and cabins available for rent, allowing you to immerse yourself in the beauty of the surrounding wilderness. Wake up to breathtaking views and enjoy hiking, fishing, and wildlife spotting at your doorstep. Prices vary depending on the type of accommodation, but expect to spend around $50-100 per night.
3. Maryville College Area
Located near the historic Maryville College campus, this neighborhood offers a mix of affordable accommodations and easy access to the city’s attractions. With its youthful vibe and proximity to local hangouts and entertainment, it’s an excellent choice for budget-conscious travelers. Prices start as low as $50 per night for budget motels or dorm-style accommodations.
If you prefer a quieter and more laid-back atmosphere, Townsend, also known as the “Peaceful Side of the Smokies,” is the perfect place to stay. This small town, just a short drive from Maryville, is surrounded by stunning natural beauty and offers a range of cabin rentals and campgrounds. Enjoy the tranquility of the Smoky Mountains while being within easy reach of Maryville’s attractions. Prices typically range from $80-150 per night.
Estimated Daily Costs for Travelers
– Accommodation: $50-150 per night, based on the chosen location and type of accommodation.
– Food: $20-40 per day, depending on the dining options you choose.
– Transportation: Public transportation options are limited, but Uber and Lyft services are available. Expect to spend around $20-30 per day on transportation if not renting a car.
– Attractions: Many attractions in Maryville are free or have low entry fees. Plan to spend around $10-20 per day on attractions or activities.
– Total: On average, you should budget $100-200 per day for a comfortable stay in Maryville.
Public Transportation Options and Renting a Car
While Maryville itself has limited public transportation options, nearby Knoxville offers a more comprehensive public bus system. However, the most convenient way to explore Maryville and the surrounding areas is by renting a car. Rental car companies such as Hertz and Enterprise are available at the McGhee Tyson Airport and in Knoxville. Prices vary, but expect to pay around $40-80 per day for a rental car, depending on the vehicle and rental duration.
Safety Tips for Travelers
Maryville, Tennessee is considered a safe city for travelers. However, it’s always important to follow general safety precautions:
– Be aware of your surroundings, especially when walking alone at night.
– Take necessary precautions when hiking or exploring the Great Smoky Mountains, such as carrying sufficient water, wearing appropriate footwear, and informing someone of your plans.
– Lock your car doors and avoid leaving valuables visible inside the vehicle.
– Follow any local regulations or advisories, especially those related to wildlife encounters or weather conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. What is the best time to visit Maryville?
The best time to visit Maryville is during the spring (April to May) and fall (September to October) seasons when the weather is pleasant, and the landscapes are lush. These months also offer beautiful foliage and comfortable temperatures for outdoor activities.
2. Are there any must-try local dishes or restaurants in Maryville?
While in Maryville, make sure to try some delicious Southern cuisine. Don’t miss out on the famous biscuits and gravy, fried green tomatoes, and BBQ. Some popular local restaurants include “Sullivan’s Fine Food,” “Full Service BBQ,” and “Bluetick Tavern,” where you can experience the region’s culinary delights.
Now that you have a glimpse of the hidden gem that is Maryville, Tennessee, it’s time to add this wonderful destination to your travel bucket list. Immerse yourself in its rich history, explore the stunning natural beauty of the Smoky Mountains, and indulge in delicious Southern cuisine. Maryville is sure to leave a lasting impression on every traveler who experiences its charm.